Hot chocolate is great this time of year. Although if made from mixes it can be very sugar heavy. This recipe is low on sugar and adds 1/2 teaspoon turmeric.
Tumeric has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, the herb also has antibacterial, antiviral, and GI supportive functions.
This is the basic recipe:
- 1/2 cup almond milk + 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon raw maca powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 dashes cinnamon
- cayenne + sea salt, pinch of each
For more info see: MINDBODYGREEN