I am very happy about the way it turned out and the entire process of making it.
I never created an animation before now. I taught myself all of the steps needed to put this video together. A few people asked me what tools I used in the process. Below is a list of everything I used.
Things I have used before:
1. Sketchbook Pro: The tool I use to do all of my illustration work. It is a really dynamic program even though I use only a very small part of it. The illustrations I have done of Katie Mason and all of the Big Picture Book of Point Location were created in this app.
2. Wacom Bamboo Tablet: Wacom makes pens and drawing tablets for artists. Their products are really high end. Although a few years ago they were selling a more modest product, the Bamboo tablet. This simple drawing surface completely suits my needs. (Although the high-end ones are dreamy!)
3. Adobe Premiere Pro: video editing software. Like many of these products, Premiere is very powerful and I use just a fraction of the features. I used this earlier when editing the short video pieces of me talking on this website.
Things that were completely new to me:
4. Adobe Flash Professional: Flash gives me the ability to move flat 2d images. I think this was a good place to start never having animated anything before. I had never struggled through the process of having things move on a timeline before. Once I got the hang of the basics it was quite fun.
5. Adobe After Effects: The moving text in the beginning and end of the video were done with this app. I wanted to avoid learning a second motion app. But truthfully this is the right tool for the job. It really is powerful for doing super complicated projects like - this one. (It hurts my brain to try and figure out that video!)
There is a lot more I can learn. I have some plans for more projects in the near future.
If you have ideas of topics I ought to animate - drop me an email!